Name Change

Our Human Resources records must match your official name as registered with the federal government. We rely on the social security card for your complete, legal name. If you change your name, through marriage, divorce, etc, log into, Employee Self Service>Personal Information>Name Change and update your new name. This will notify Payroll that a change is underway, but your records cannot be updated until the new Social Security Card is obtained. When you receive the card, bring it to Human Resources along with identity documents to also replace your Form I-9 and we will update your name in our system of record. Below are the procedures:

If you are also a student, please visit the Registrar's Office to have your name changed in Banner. Bring a copy of your name change document (Social Security Card, marriage certificate, divorce decree) with you. Their office is on the first floor of the Tech Tower.

The Social Security Administration (SSA) regulates the Social Security card and it's processes. To change your name on Social Security Card:

You must go to a local SSA office to show them documents proving your legal name change and identity. You must also show them a document proving your U.S. citizenship, if it is not already in their records.

The local office by Georgia Tech in Atlanta is located at 401 West Peachtree Street, Suite 2860 (Peachtree Summit Building), Atlanta, GA 30308.

You will have to complete form SS-5.

Obtaining a Social Security Number

How to Apply: In order to obtain a Social Security number and card, you must provide evidence that you are in lawful nonimmigrant status and that you are authorized for employment in the United States.

When a non-US citizen requests a Social Security number, the Social Security Administration (SSA) must now verify the documents with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS – formerly the INS). If verification is not available through the USCIS online system, SSA will contact the USCIS. This may delay receipt of a Social Security number by several weeks or months. As a result, it is advisable to wait approximately 10 working days from the point of your arrival in the US before applying for a Social Security number. This will increase the chances that verification will be available to SSA through the USCIS online system, thus avoiding further delays.

The following unexpired documents demonstrating your identity and valid non-immigrant status are required:

  • Passport (should be valid for at least 6 months into the future);
  • Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record;
  • For J-1 students and scholars: visit the Office of International Education
  • For F-1 students: visit the Office of International Education
  • For H-1B or O-1 non-immigrant workers: USCIS (formerly INS) Form I-797 Approval Notice
  • Complete Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. You may also obtain Form SS-5 by calling 1-800-772-1213 or visiting your local Social Security Office. These services are free.

NOTE: All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The Social Security Office cannot accept photocopies of documents; they must be originals. In addition, notarized copies are not acceptable, nor are receipts showing that you applied for a specific document or status.

Where to Apply: Although it is permissible to mail the application and evidence to the local Social Security office, we strongly recommend that you apply in person in order to avoid the risk of losing precious immigration and identity documents. You can find local Social Security offices at:, or you may visit the Social Security Office located at:

401 West Peachtree Street, Suite 2860 (Peachtree Summit Building), Atlanta, GA 30308

Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Phone: (800) 772-1213

The social security card should be mailed to you in approximately 2-6 weeks.

NOTE: There may be additional delays due to implementation of the new document/status verification check with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS – formerly the INS) for all non-U.S. citizen workers. Within 3-5 days after applying for a Social Security Card, the automated information line should be able to provide you with your social security number, however, again, expect possible delays due to additional USCIS (formerly INS) status verification requirements.

Generally, if you are NOT authorized to work in the U.S., you are not eligible to obtain a Social Security card. Instead, you should apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).